Thursday 30 June 2016

The Emus of Belair National Park

Tuesday was a lovely sunny day, and I had most of the day off, so I headed off to Belair National Park where I met up with my new birder friend Lauren, and we spent a good 7 hours wandering around looking for feathered creatures.

I ended up with a list of 31 species for the day, and for me the highlight was seeing two emus! Some people might see these all the time, but I hardly ever see them in the wild, let alone this close! The closer of the two was no more than five metres away from us, and didn't seem the slightest bit bothered by us snapping away in its presence.

Emu, Belair National Park

Emu, Belair National Park

Emu, Belair National Park

Emu, Belair National Park
Aside from these magnificent birds we saw a lot of smaller birds, including yellow-faced honeyeaters, eastern spinebills, white-browed scrubwrens, straited thornbills, and plenty of superb fairywrens.

Another cool bird that I don't see all that often, I saw two of at Belair - Fan-tailed Cuckoos.
Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Belair National Park

Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Belair National Park
 Apart from birds, we also spotted four koalas, and two kangaroos.
Koala, Belair National Park

Eastern Grey Kangaroo Belair National Park

All up, it was a really good day, and we didn't leave until the sun was setting and we started getting worried about getting locked in to the car park, plus we were running out of light for decent photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment