Wednesday 20 January 2021

Byards Rd Wetland - January 2021

Despite living around the corner, I hadn’t been for a walk around Byards Rd Wetland for quite a while - until this morning! I got a later start than I should have, and it was already getting hot. Several of the ponds were completely dry, while others had plenty of water. I quickly started seeing the usual wetland species. It was nice to see a pair of Royal Spoonbills feeding in Pond 9, and a couple of Silvereyes flitting about, one of which seemed to be feeding the other. A group of magpies surrounded me at one point, but they seemed friendly.. I think people might feed them and they were hoping for a snack. A group of wood ducks approached me at the edge of Pond 9, possibly with the same idea. 

I hadn’t visited for a while, but the last few times I did was when a family of Tawny Frogmouths were hanging out just outside of the wetlands. I wandered out to the road, not really expecting them to be there, but there was 3 of them roosting in the exact tree I remember seeing them in last, probably over a year ago! I ended up with a total of 29 species, including 7 new additions to my year list.

Grey Teal

Little Pied Cormorant 

Silvereye 



Australian Magpie 


Australian White Ibis 

White-faced Heron 

Australian Magpie 

Pacific Black Duck 

Noisy Miner 

Royal Spoonbill 




Australian Wood Duck 


Long-billed Corella 



Tawny Frogmouth 


SPECIES LIST 

1. Australian Wood Duck  

2. Pacific Black Duck 

3. Grey Teal 

4. Spotted Dove 

5. Common Bronzewing 

6. Crested Pigeon 

7. Tawny Frogmouth 

8. Dusky Moorhen 

9. Eurasian Coot 

10. Australasian Swamphen 

11. Masked Lapwing 

12. Black-fronted Dotterel 

13. Little Pied Cormorant 

14. White-faced Heron 

15. Australian White Ibis

16. Royal Spoonbill 

17. Galah 

18. Long-billed Corella 

19. Crimson Rosella 

20. Rainbow Lorikeet 

21. Superb Fairywren 

22. Noisy Miner 

23. White-plumed Honeyeater 

24. Australian Magpie 

25. Willie Wagtail 

26. Magpie-lark 

27. Little Raven 

28. Australian Reed Warbler 

29. Silvereye 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment