Wednesday 31 January 2018

January 2018 Wrap-up

Already one month into 2018! January has been a good start to the year overall. Aside from work, I've the time to head out and do some birding at various locations, including Byards Road Wetland, Tolderol, Laratinga Wetlands, Monarto, Belair NP, and Cox Scrub CP. So far this year I've seen 126 species, including 4 lifers, without going too far away from home. I've been keeping a closer eye on the changes occuring at my local wetland on Byards Road and helped form a "Friends group" for the site. I've seen some nice birds around, including my favourite Rainbow Bee-eaters, and FINALLY a Southern Boobook again - hadn't seen one for a few years! Here are some shots from January :-) 

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that there are a lot more Long-billed Corellas in my area than there have been in recent years. Previously I have noticed large groups of Little Corellas, and a few Long-billed in a small group or mixed in with the Littles, but lately I have been seeing large groups of both species. 
Long-billed Corellas, Byards Rd Wetland, SA

Grey Currawong, Byards Rd Wetland, SA

Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo, Cox Scrub CP, SA
 One day I took my sister Erin for a walk in Cox Scrub CP to look for birds and geo-caches. We took the wrong trail and ended up walking a lot further than we meant to, and it was quite a hot day, but at least I saw a lifer - Brush Bronzewing!
Brush Bronzewing, Cox Scrub CP, SA
 Later that same day, I took Erin to see a Tawny Frogmouth family at McLaren Vale - the same family from my earlier January post. They were a bit less accommodating this time, on a branch hidden behind some foliage, but they were just as cute as ever!

Tawny Frogmouths, McLaren Vale, SA
 More recently, my dad and I went up to Browns Rd, Monarto for a look around. There are quite a few species there that I don't see closer to home, so it's a great area to visit. I saw my first Rainbow Bee-eaters for the year, and added quite a few year ticks that day!

Rainbow Bee-eater, Browns Rd, Monarto, SA

Red-capped Robin (immature), Browns Rd, Monarto, SA
 A few days later I revisited Browns Rd in darkness with Teresa. We were quickly rewarded for our drive out there with a sighting of a Southern Boobook. Later we also saw a few Tawny Frogmouths and a couple of Barn Owls, and Teresa heard an Owlet-nightjar. We couldn't find him though, so I will have to find one another day!

Southern Boobook, Browns Rd, Monarto, SA

Tawny Frogmouth, Monarto, SA

No comments:

Post a Comment